No food processor paleo protein balls; yep that’s right, just one bowl to mix it all together, roll and you’re done! Combining nut butter, coconut, hemp seeds, a little honey and your favourite protein powder. The perfect healthy sweet snack! Gluten and grain free.
I went back to school last week (to pick up studying my Bachelor of Health Science, yay!) and my lunch box was crying out for some healthy home made snacks. Sure I had the obligatory raw nuts and carrot sticks, but there needed to be something a little more exciting in there. Let me tell you, after 8 hours of classes, you need some excitement! My lunch box needed no food processor paleo protein balls.
Since my first version of no food processor protein balls topped the list of the most popular blog recipes in 2017, I figured you guys might like the recipe for these too 🙂 It’s easy to see why recipes like this are so appealing. Just one bowl to mix it up, no fancy equipment. And they offer a solution to that most pesky, always-nagging-hungry time, the 3pm slump! One or two of these little bites with a nice cup of tea is just right.
When I first started making quick-mix protein balls, I used a base of oats. However, lately oats haven’t been agreeing with me. I’m not certain if that’s because I can’t find certified gluten free oats in Australia, or because oats of any variety have started to cause irritation both of my digestion and my skin. Since giving up oats (which makes me very sad! they’re nutritious + awesome) I have noticed an improvement, so I’m going to stick with it for now.
This recipe uses crunchy nut butter, hemp seeds and coconut to create a yummy protein ball base with a nice texture. Yay for hemp now being a legal edible foodstuff in Australia! If you can’t track them down easily, almond meal/flour can be used instead. I’ve been buying all my protein ball ingredients from a bulk foods store (I love The Source Bulk Foods – this is not a sponsored post) which means I can buy just as much as I need. Economical and easy.
Make these no food processor paleo protein balls your new easy afternoon treat!
No Food Processor Paleo Protein Balls
- 1 cup cashew butter - I like to use crunchy cashew butter
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup protein powder of choice e.g. whey protein, or vegan protein like hemp or pea. Use unflavoured or a light flavour like vanilla or mild chocolate
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
For coating the protein balls
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut extra
- Combine cashew butter and honey in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the hemp seeds, desiccated coconut and 1/4 cup of protein powder. Start to stir the mixture together to form a crumbly, slightly sticky dough. Continue to add the remaining protein powder until you get the mixture to a consistency you can shape into balls.
- Using your fingers, shape heaped tablespoons of the mixture into balls. Press firmly to get a nice solid shape. Roll in additional desiccated coconut if desired.
- Place the balls in the fridge to firm up a little. Keep them stored in the fridge. They should last about two weeks; you can also freeze them and they'll keep well for 2-3 months.