These healthy no food processor protein balls just require a mixing bowl. SO easy to make, the recipe is gluten free and can easily be made dairy free and vegan. Just choose a vegan/dairy free protein powder, and a vegan sweetener!
Recently I had lots of fun hosting an energy ball making workshop. A group of beautiful girls and I hung out and we made a bunch of different creations together. Favourites of the night were my Apricot, Cashew and Pumpkin Seed Bliss Balls, and THESE amazing no food processor protein balls.
I confess I am very much in love with my Magimix food processor (it was a very thoughtful Christmas pressie from the hubby!). However, I appreciate not everyone has one of these laying about, and to be honest there are times when I just don’t wanna dirty any equipment. No food processor protein balls to the rescue. They are so quick and convenient! One bowl is all you need.
Ingredient substitutions for No Food Processor Protein Balls
The recipe for these no food processor protein balls is really quite flexible, too. So long as you get the ratio between wet/sticky and dry ingredients right, you can create a variety of combinations. The most economical variety (and how I’ve written out the recipe below) is a simple peanut butter and honey base. However, some substitutions include:
- swap the peanut butter for another nut butter e.g. almond, cashew or a blend.
- swap the honey for a different liquid sweetener like maple syrup, date syrup or rice malt syrup.
And of course, keeping these little protein balls vegan friendly is easy too. Just use a vegan protein like rice, pea or hemp protein powder, and use a vegan liquid sweetener like maple syrup. Too easy!
I hope you love these no food processor protein balls as much as my workshop group did! I’ve been making them heaps since developing this recipe – they freeze really well too which is great. They’re creamy and sweet enough to stand in for dessert. I love using a vanilla-spiced protein powder in these balls as it adds an additional fragrant sweetness to them – though you can change up the flavour as you like!
If you make these protein balls don’t forget to take a snap and tag me on Instagram, you can find me these days over at @moniquecormacknutrition 🙂
No Food Processor Protein Balls
- 1 cup peanut butter – smooth, 100%. Or use a different nut or seed butter
- 1/4 cup honey or another liquid sweetener of choice
- 1/2 cup rolled oats – gluten free
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup protein powder – I recommend vanilla or chocolate flavour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut EXTRA for rolling
- Place the peanut butter and honey in a large bowl and use a spoon to mix them together a little.
- Add the oats, 1/4 cup of desiccated coconut and 1/4 cup of the protein powder to the bowl (i.e. only add half of the protein powder to begin with).
- Using a wooden spoon or a sturdy spatula, start combining all of the ingredients together. They should form a slightly sticky dough, with a consistency where it can be rolled into balls. Once the mixture has largely come together, you can test it by rolling a bit into a ball with your hands. If it’s too wet, add extra protein powder until it reaches the right consistency.
- Roll heaped tablespoons of the dough into balls, and then roll in the extra desiccated coconut to coat.
- Place the balls in the fridge to firm up a little. Leave them stored in the fridge in an airtight container, or alternatively freeze them for a longer life (where they should keep for about 3 months).