This almond chocolate mug cake is so easy to make and is gluten free, grain free and dairy free. A healthier chocolate cake that goes from zero to completely done in around five minutes? Yes please!
Published November 2017 | Updated September 2022
This the speedy, no fuss cake that you need RIGHT NOW. A single serve chocolate delight.
Yep, you cook this cake in the microwave, and it’s done in 90 seconds. 90 SECONDS! Seriously; this almond chocolate mug cake is the quickest, easiest little chocolate cake I have ever made. Making this blog post took about half the time that it usually does, because the practice and preparation of the food was so damn speedy! (Makes up for all of the times I have massive recipe fails, just a little…)
All that’s required to get yourself an almond chocolate mug cake are 7 key ingredients (plus a dash of vanilla if you have it), a fork and a good mug. If you like making them more pretty, you can make them in a bowl and then pour into microwave-safe ramekins, like I did for the photos. I think they look awesome! Sprinkle over some toppings and I think they can pass for decadent chocolate cakes that you spent an age slaving over.
I hate to use this descriptive word but they are moist and just the right amount of fluffy and crumbly.
For those concerned about allergens, these cakes are gluten free, dairy free and soy free.
For this recipe you will need:
- Almond meal – also known as ground almonds or sometimes called almond flour. You can either use natural almond meal (where the almonds still have their skin on) or you can use blanched almond meal (skins removed)
- Cacao powder – you can also use cocoa powder, both will work in this recipe
- Baking powder – please make sure to choose a gluten free baking powder if you need to keep this allergen free
- Maple syrup or honey
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Vanilla extract – optional but lovely, how good does vanilla smell when you’re cooking!
Can I make this recipe egg-free (vegan)? Yes, as this recipe only uses one egg, you could substitute a ‘flax egg’ or try using half of a large banana, mashed thoroughly. The cake may not rise as well using the egg-free options but it should still cook well.
A ‘flax egg’ is one tablespoon of flaxmeal (ground flaxseed) whisked with three tablespoons of water. Whisk and allow to sit for 15 minutes until an ‘eggy’ gel forms.
Can I make this recipe nut-free? I’m sorry, I haven’t made this recipe without almond meal as it is one of the core ingredients. You could try to use plain flour but you will likely need to add more moisture to the base recipe. It’s probably easier to find an alternate recipe.
What’s on the top of the cakes in your photos? Greek yoghurt, flaked almonds and dried rose petals. You can use coconut yoghurt instead for a dairy free option.
If you make this cake take a snap and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram –> @moniquecormacknutrition 🙂
- 3 tbsp almond meal a.k.a. ground almonds or almond flour
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder (gluten free)
- 1 small pinch salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract – OPTIONAL but lovely for flavour
- To start – you can make this cake in the mug you’ll cook it in, or you can make it in a small bowl and then pour it into a mug or ramekin to cook it.
- Place the dry ingredients (almond meal, cacao, baking powder) into a small bowl/mug. Stir a little to combine.
- Add the egg, maple syrup, olive oil and vanilla to the mixture. Whisk with a fork until you have a smooth cake batter.
- Pour batter into the mug or ramekin you’re going to cook it in (if it’s not in there already). Make sure the mug/ramekin isn’t filled to the brim – you’ll need at least 2cm left at the top so it doesn’t spill over.
- Place mug/ramekin in microwave. Cook for 60 seconds – it will puff up a lot while cooking and then settle. Check on the cake. It will probably still be a little undercooked. Cook for a further 15-30 seconds until done to your liking (microwave ovens can vary a lot).
- Serve immediately while it’s nice a warm. Add toppings if you like!