This almond chocolate mug cake is so easy to make and is gluten free, grain free and dairy free. A healthier chocolate cake that goes from zero to done in about ten minutes? Yes!
Guys, this month for me is going to involve a lot of NO FUSS cooking. No sooner were we unpacking our Sydney home…we have been on the move again! Why? Well, it’s kitchen renovation time. Something I actually don’t really mind being moved around for. I can handle a few weeks out of a suitcase if there’s a shiny new kitchen at the end of the journey! Pretty new bench tops, a powerful new oven, a lovely tiled splash back. Bring it.
Being the crazy busy couple that we are, my husband and I have enlisted serious help in making over the bottom floor of our terrace. Did I just say we were only doing the kitchen? I meant – kitchen, toilet, laundry…whole ground floor. The floor has been ripped up already. Eeep. We’re actually using a renovation broker, which is something you may or may not have heard of before. Basically, they’re some kind of renovating godsend who helps project manage and connects you with all the tradespeople you need. More about this to come in a blog post!
So that brings me to this almond chocolate mug cake. Without all my usual kitchen gadgets and space, this is the speedy, no fuss cake I need right now. A single serve chocolate delight.
Yep, you cook this cake in the MICROWAVE, and it’s done in 90 seconds. 90 SECONDS! Seriously; this almond chocolate mug cake is the quickest, easiest little chocolate cake I have ever made. Making this blog post took about half the time that it usually does, because the practice and preparation of the food was so damn speedy! (Makes up for all of the times I have massive recipe fails, just a little…).
All that’s required to get yourself an almond chocolate mug cake are 7 key ingredients (plus a dash of vanilla if you have it), a fork and a good mug. If you like making them more pretty, you can make them in a bowl and then pour into microwave-safe ramekins, like I did for the photos. I think they look awesome! Sprinkle over some toppings and I think they can pass for decadent chocolate cakes that you spent an age slaving over.
So this almond chocolate mug cake isn’t just for must-have-cake emergencies. It’s for all occasions! And being gluten free, dairy free and sweetened with only one tablespoon of maple syrup, it makes a healthier option when you need a treat.
If you make this cake take a snap and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram –> @moniquecormacknutrition 🙂
Healthy Almond Chocolate Mug Cake
- 3 tbsp almond meal a.k.a. ground almonds or almond flour
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder (gluten free)
- 1 small pinch salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract – OPTIONAL but lovely for flavour
- To start – you can make this cake in the mug you’ll cook it in, or you can make it in a small bowl and then pour it into a mug or ramekin to cook it.
- Place the dry ingredients (almond meal, cacao, baking powder) into a small bowl/mug. Stir a little to combine.
- Add the egg, maple syrup, olive oil and vanilla to the mixture. Whisk with a fork until you have a smooth cake batter.
- Pour batter into the mug or ramekin you’re going to cook it in (if it’s not in there already). Make sure the mug/ramekin isn’t filled to the brim – you’ll need at least 2cm left at the top so it doesn’t spill over.
- Place mug/ramekin in microwave. Cook for 60 seconds – it will puff up a lot while cooking and then settle. Check on the cake. It will probably still be a little undercooked. Cook for a further 15-30 seconds until done to your liking (microwave ovens can vary a lot).
- Serve immediately while it’s nice a warm. Add toppings if you like!