This light and fresh Broccoli Buckwheat Salad gets lots of flavour from chopped semi-dried tomatoes and fresh herbs stirred through it! Gluten free, dairy free and vegan friendly (feta optional), this satisfying salad is perfect for meal prep and packing in your lunch box.
Meal-prepping is in full swing at my house again after the holiday break. Now that I’m juggling work, study and the blog, being organised about my food is a key part of my weekly routine! I love to eat good food and I love to eat it often – I do not like to skip meals or rely on packaged snack foods to get by. Food has got to be fresh, colourful and full of flavour – and I find the easiest way to achieve this is by spending a chunk of time batch-cooking.
So! I’ve been making this Broccoli Buckwheat Salad with Semi-Dried Tomatoes, which keeps really well in the fridge and makes a wonderful addition to my lunch box (or a speedy dinner). With a gluten free wholegrain base, this beauty combines loads of greens with the rich flavour of semi-dried tomatoes. All topped off with a squeeze of lemon and extra virgin olive oil, which are probably my two top salad dressing ingredients!
Before I first made this salad a few weeks back, I hadn’t eaten semi-dried tomatoes in forever. SO silly of me – they are so damn delicious! Just a few little pieces are all you need to bump up the tastiness of a meal with no effort at all. Besides this salad, I have been loving them chopped up and stirred through scrambled eggs. DIVINE. (They would also be a great addition to this Pesto Vegetable Frittata if you feel like meal-prepping some more food!)
Now, before you grab this broccoli buckwheat salad recipe let’s talk about protein for a second. While this salad gets some protein from the buckwheat, seeds and the optional feta, I often like to pair this salad with some more. If you’re packing it for lunch it works well with canned tuna or salmon. If you have more time, try it with grilled chicken, salmon or poached eggs. For a plant based option, add half a cup of lentils or chickpeas!
Broccoli Buckwheat Salad with Semi-Dried Tomatoes
- 3/4 cup buckwheat groats (measured uncooked)
- 1 small head broccoli
- 1 small cucumber
- 3/4 cup semi-dried tomatoes
- 1 handful fresh mint
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to season
- 100 grams feta cheese - OPTIONAL, see notes
- Buckwheat. Cook the buckwheat either according to the package instructions, or using the boil method: basically, pop the buckwheat in a saucepan of boiling water like you would pasta, and cook on a rolling boil for 12 minutes. Drain thoroughly, then spread out on a tray or large plate to cool down. Set aside.
- Broccoli. Chop the broccoli into small florets. Steam for 2-3 minutes or until just tender. Allow to cool.
- Other Salad Ingredients. Chop the semi-dried tomatoes into small pieces. Cut the cucumber into small dice. Remove the rough stalks from the parsley and mint, then shred/chop the leaves into smaller pieces.
- Assemble Salad. Combine the cooled buckwheat and broccoli together with the semi-dried tomatoes, cucumber, herbs and sunflower seeds. Squeeze over the juice of the half lemon, and drizzle over a few tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine everything.
- Serve the salad with feta crumbled over the top if desired. Enjoy!