Carrots. Buckwheat flour. Egg. Seasoning. Really, that’s all you need to make these SUPER simple 4 ingredient healthy carrot fritters! This is the perfect recipe for using up a couple of those sad old carrots you might have lurking in the fridge.
I must admit carrots are not my favourite veggie. Unless they’re “dressed up” a little, I usually end up completely smothering them in dip before eating them. (Carrot to dip ratio must favour the dip!). They can just feel a little boring sometimes, you know? That said, I know you can use carrots to make some pretty dang amazingly delicious things. Like my carrot cake oat porridge… or now, these awesome healthy carrot cake fritters.
This recipe came about because I wanted an easy fritter recipe with minimal ingredients. Something quick, tasty and packed with veggies; to chuck in a salad, serve with poached eggs or to spread with dip. These healthy carrot fritters just do all of the things! Super low fuss, and the perfect way to fall in love with carrots again. They really are a pretty awesome, versatile, economical vegetable.
Some other great features of these healthy carrot fritters. 1. You don’t need to use a food processor; just a grater and a mixing bowl. 2. Only four ingredients and one of those is the seasoning! You can keep it simple and just go for salt & pepper, or you can add in other herbs and spices like parsley, coriander, chilli or cumin. In the recipe below, I’ve specified dried parsley because this is what I’ve used the most. I love the green herby flecks through the fritters, and the slightly peppery edge the parsley gives.
My favourite ways to enjoy healthy carrot fritters are as part of a warm breakfast bowl with poached eggs on top, or thrown into a mixed salad (I recommend a dollop of hummus, too). They’re delicious when hot and freshly cooked, of course, but will also keep in the fridge for a few days and you can use them cold.
4 Ingredient Healthy Carrot Fritters
- 2 large carrots 150-180 grams
- 3 tbsp buckwheat flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- salt and pepper to season
- coconut oil or virgin olive oil for frying
- Grate the carrots and place in a large bowl. Add in buckwheat flour, salt, pepper, dried parsley and egg. Combine thoroughly; it should form a thick lumpy mixture.
- Heat a fry pan to a medium heat and add 2 tsp olive oil or coconut oil.
- Scoop generous heaped tablespoons of the mixture into the pan and flatten into fritter shapes. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side. If they start to burn too quickly, reduce the heat.
- Repeat with the remaining batter until done, adding a little extra oil to the pan as necessary. The oil helps to add flavour and a slight crispness to the fritters. Serve!