Creamy coconut ginger pumpkin soup is deliciously nourishing. The warmth of fresh ginger adds a lovely kick to the sweet base of coconut and pumpkin. Make it with your favourite chicken broth or stock, or use a vegetable stock base for a plant based, vegan soup.
With a little chill finally in the air here, it’s time to start whipping up some warming soups. This bright coconut ginger pumpkin soup is not only warming temperature-wise; the ginger gives you a spicy warmth too and makes you feel so good inside. Ginger is an incredible spice, and is a traditional remedy for common complaints including colds, indigestion and nausea. Perfect for incorporating into an autumnal soup.
I also usually make this soup using chicken broth, which adds another healing, nourishing element to the recipe. (Though, you can use vegetable stock if you want to make this soup free from any animal products). As well as it’s healthful qualities, using a broth or stock base also gives you a lovely depth of flavour, balancing out the sweetness with a little savoury.
It is so incredibly easy to make this coconut ginger pumpkin soup. All you need to do is roast the pumpkin and then…blend! Literally, that’s it. The rest of the ingredients don’t need cooking, so you simply whizz everything together until smooth. I do this in my Vitamix (which actually has a cool “soup” function that heats up the soup, too). But if you don’t have a large jug blender like this you can also put all the ingredients into a saucepan and use a stick (immersion) blender. A food processor will also do!
When we have this soup at home, I usually serve it with some good bread (obviously!) and a side of protein, too. Sometimes it’s leftover shredded chicken, or a couple of boiled eggs, or a generous sprinkle of toasted seeds and a slather of hummus on the bread. Some crispy roasted chickpeas on top would also be amazing too I think. Enjoy it however you like and share your ideas 🙂
If you make this soup let me know by leaving a comment below or take a picture and tag me on Instagram, I’m @nourish_everyday!
Coconut and Ginger Pumpkin Soup
- 1 kilogram pumpkin - any variety will do, I used Kent pumpkin for the soup pictured
- 500 mL chicken broth or stock - substitute vegetable stock for a vegan/vegetarian soup
- 250 mL coconut milk
- 60 grams fresh ginger (about 3-4 thumb sized pieces)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil for roasting the pumpkin - can also use coconut oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 C and line a large tray with baking paper (or use a non-stick tray).
- Peel pumpkin and cut into even-sized chunks. Place on tray, drizzle over olive oil and toss around with your hands to coat. Roast pumpkin in the oven for approximately 45 minutes or until super soft and starting to caramelize at the edges.
- While the pumpkin is roasting, peel the ginger and gather the rest of the ingredients.
- Place cooked pumpkin, chicken broth/stock, coconut milk, ginger, cumin and cinnamon into blender jug. Blend until super smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, heat a portion of the soup in a saucepan over the stove (or microwave the soup if that's more convenient for you). Enjoy!
p.s. make extra roasted pumpkin and you can also prep this Honey Roast Pumpkin Quinoa Salad!