These slow cooked soy braised chicken thighs are delicious, tender and incredibly easy to make! Pop all the ingredients into the slow cooker and have a healthy dinner ready with absolutely no fuss. Made gluten free using gluten free soy sauce!
It’s been quite a long time since I’ve posted a recipe, eep! I’ve been really busy studying and mum-ing, and even though I’ve missed it, I had to put blogging on the backburner. It’s been really difficult to carve out time to test new recipes, and I only like to post things once I’ve made them a few times and feel confident. (Side note: I used to be a lot more free n’ easy and just post whatever on the blog, so I think some of my really old recipes might be a little wonky…need to fix them…)
But, we’ve just had a week off uni, so I just had to jump back in and pop a recipe up! Probably should have spent the time getting ahead on next term’s assignments, but really…who does that.
It’s probably quite fitting that my first recipe back in between assignments is one of my favourite no-fuss, batch-cook, slow cooker meals. I like to make these Slow Cooker Soy Braised Chicken Thighs on the weekend when I’m stocking up my freezer meals. It only takes a few minutes to throw everything in the slow cooker and you are rewarded with the most flavoursome chicken dinner!
Simmered in the slow cooker, these braised chicken thighs become incredibly soft and once they’re done, can be shredded and served in all their saucy goodness over some fluffy rice. It’s so damn tasty.
There are no magic tricks or techniques required for this recipe guys. It’s as simple as:
- whisk together the braising sauce ingredients;
- pop chicken and veggies into the slow cooker;
- pour over the braising sauce;
- turn on the slow cooker, set and forget.
I use gluten free soy sauce in this recipe, but you could just use regular soy sauce too. If you don’t like to use soy, you can swap the soy sauce out for coconut aminos. It’s a really good soy sauce substitute simply made out of coconut tree sap and salt.
And as I mentioned earlier, these Slow Cooker Soy Braised Chicken Thighs are perfect for freezing. The recipe makes quite a big batch, so it’s a great one to make when you want some leftovers to enjoy later!
If you make my Slow Cooker Soy Braised Chicken Thighs, I would love to see it! Take a picture, show me how you serve it up and tag me @nourish_everyday on Instagram!
- 1-1.2 kg chicken thighs (skinless and boneless)
- 2-3 large carrots
- 1 brown onion
- 1/2 cup gluten free soy sauce or tamari (you can just use regular soy sauce but I wanted this dish to be gluten free)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed *see notes
- 2 tsp minced/grated ginger *see notes
- Combine all of the braising sauce ingredients in a bowl or jug. Set aside.
- Peel and thickly slice the onion. Chop the carrots into rounds about 1cm thick.
- Place the chicken thighs, carrot and onion evenly inside the base of the slow cooker. Pour the braising sauce on top and press everything into the sauce so it all gets coated.
- Cook the chicken on high for 4 hours. Done! Sprinkle over chopped spring onion and sesame seeds before serving, and serve with rice and steamed greens.