This Vegetarian Baked Gnocchi with Lentils is hearty, healthy and incredibly easy to make, using just one baking dish. Gluten free, packed full of plant protein and there’s even a vegan option too!
I’m super excited to be putting this recipe for Vegetarian Baked Gnocchi on the blog this week. It’s been such a hit in my house that I have made it three times already after perfecting the recipe, we can’t get enough! Yep, this Vegetarian Baked Gnocchi is THAT good. Seriously.
Baked gnocchi seems to be going through a bit of a popularity surge at the moment; it pops up on my social media so often. So yeah, I got sucked in, but I’m damn happy about it! Why have I never tried baking gnocchi before?! It’s actually one of the easiest pasta dishes you could ever make.
Let me tell you how amazingly simple this recipe is:
- You only need one baking dish to cook the whole meal from start to finish;
- The recipe is pretty flexible and you don’t really need to measure things too accurately (really, just chuck whatever veggies you want in there);
- Most of the ingredients are ready-to-go kinda pantry things that don’t need any effort like passata, dried herbs, tinned lentils and a packet of gnocchi, of course.
This Vegetarian Baked Gnocchi is SO EASY but delivers massively on flavour. Even though it’s made with just veggies and lentils, my meat-loving husband is a huge fan.
Using more legumes in my cooking is something I’m actively trying to do at the moment. We go through tonnes of hummus in our house, but I’m not as adventurous with legumes in cooking as I could be. I struggle with IBS, so I do have to watch how much I use as they tend to trigger me, but it feels good trying to incorporate more plant proteins. Not just from a health perspective but from an environmental perspective too.
Also, should you want to make this meal vegan (not just vegetarian) you only need to change the cheese on the top for a vegan cheese. I don’t often buy them/use them but I see loads of different vegan cheeses at my local supermarket so I think they are pretty easy to come by.
If you make my Vegetarian Baked Gnocchi with Lentils, I would love to see it! Take a picture and tag me @nourish_everyday on Instagram!
- 500 grams gnocchi (I use a gluten free potato gnocchi)
- 1 head broccoli
- 1-2 zucchini (depending on size of zucchini, use 2 if small)
- 1 red onion
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach
- 1 tin brown lentils, drained and rinsed (400 gram tin)
- 2 cups passata
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried Italian herb mix
- 100 grams feta cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Chop zucchini, broccoli and red onion into small chunks. Place in baking dish and toss in olive oil, garlic powder and a little salt and pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until veggies are soft and browning at the edges.
- Remove dish from oven and add the gnocchi, lentils, passata, water, baby spinach and dried herbs, plus a pinch or salt and pepper. Stir everything together and then spread out evenly in the dish.
- Crumble the feta and scatter over the top. Follow this with the grated cheddar/mozzarella. Return the dish to the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted completely and the dish is bubbling and browning.