This roasted broccoli guacamole salad is for when you want a huge bowl of guacamole and chips but need some healthy greens too! Easy to make, gluten free and vegan friendly.
I recently went on holiday to New York and Mexico and during this time, (perhaps needless to say) I consumed a LOT of guacamole. I mean, how can you not eat all of the avocado? It’s so creamy and buttery, so delicious you can just scoop it straight from the skin and eat it. As an added bonus it’s also incredibly good for you; ain’t nothing but healthy, nourishing fats in avocado.
Obviously, Mexico was certainly the time of peak avocado consumption on my holiday, but the inspiration for this roasted broccoli and guacamole salad actually comes from a little place I visited in NYC a few times; a chain of salad bars called sweetgreen. For lunch one day, I had their “Guac & Greens” salad bowl; basically, a mix of all the delicious ingredients that go in to guacamole tossed through a huge pile of salad (and usually topped with chicken at sweetgreen). I loved the idea so much I just had to create it at home.
This delicious salad recipe mashes up all of your favourite guacamole ingredients with a crisp lettuce and cabbage base to make one huge bowl of goodness. For a little healthy boost, chunks of oven-roasted broccoli are also tossed through. If you’ve never roasted your broccoli, I promise you it’s super delish!
Topping the salad with tortilla chips is totally optional but if you don’t mind eating a small amount of corn, I recommend it to give you that crunchy, authentic guacamole & chips experience. I made sure to choose organic, non-GMO and gluten-free corn chips; just check the packet carefully when you’re at the shops. For a corn-free option you could always crumble in some flaxseed crackers or vegetable chips.
This base recipe for this guacamole salad is vegan, so in terms of adding protein, you can adapt it to work with whatever dietary preferences you have. To keep it purely plant-based, toss through some quinoa or your favourite legumes. It’s also great with a few slices of grilled halloumi, chicken or salmon. Enjoy it however you like it!
Roasted Broccoli and Guacamole Salad (Vegan)
- 1 head broccoli (250 grams)
- 3-4 handfuls romaine lettuce, roughly shredded
- 1 1/2 cups purple cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (or larger tomatoes, diced)
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 large avocado
- 1 lime
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander (25-30 grams)
- 60 grams corn tortilla chips
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 C and line a small baking tray with baking paper.
- Chop the broccoli into small florets and coat in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Spread out evenly over the baking tray and roast until tender and just browning at the edges, approximately 20-30 minutes depending on how large you leave the florets. Set aside and leave to cool while you prep the salad.
- Halve the baby tomatoes and finely dice the onion. Remove the tough stems from the coriander and tear up the leaves a little. Place the lettuce, cabbage, coriander, tomatoes and onion in a large bowl.
- Scoop out the whole avocado, slice into chunks and then add this in to the bowl. Massage the avocado throughout the salad so everything is creamy and coated. Cut the lime in half and squeeze in the lime juice. (You can just use half the lime if you do not want it too tangy). Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the broccoli has cooled a little, toss this through the salad as well.
- To serve, divide the salad in half (for two large portions) and crumble over the tortilla chips. If you're not eating it right away, you can leave the chips separate so they stay super crunchy.