This easy, healthy carrot cake porridge recipe combines gluten free oats, carrot and spices to make a healthy breakfast that tastes like dessert!
Are you a total sucker for anything “carrot cake”? It’s such a classic that it’s become a flavour of its own, morphing in to so many other different forms. Who would have thought that a simple bake based on a grated vegetable would inspire so many other delicious creations? The humble carrot cake has certainly stood the test of time, and I for one am hoping it sticks around for a while yet as I totally love it (my healthy carrot cake muffins are still one of my favourite sweet snacks).
If you are on team carrot cake, you will adore this simple, healthy carrot cake porridge. All of the satisfying deliciousness of a slice of carrot cake, easily thrown together in a pot on the stove and cooked quickly into a creamy, warming breakfast. The combination of wholegrain rolled oats, grated carrot and flaxseed is a fibre-rich, nourishing combination that’s great for your body. Add the spices and it becomes such a tasty combination, too!
I love to power up this oat porridge by also adding some additional protein while it’s cooking. Usually for me this is a whisked egg, which I rapidly stir into the porridge and cook for a few minutes until it’s all blended in. But to keep the recipe vegan friendly I sometimes swap this for a few tablespoons of plant-based protein powder. (Both suggestions are included in the recipe below as an optional add-in; you can also leave this element out).
UPDATE February 2017: I have had a few people contact me and let me know that another great substitute for the egg or the protein powder is half a mashed banana, which means the recipe will be kept vegan. As well as adding a nice texture, the banana also adds sweetness to the porridge so you can reduce or omit any other sweetener. I’ve tried it and it is really good! Also, you can use a whole cup of milk instead of half milk / half water, for a creamier result.
- 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats (45 grams)
- 1 medium carrot, grated (1/2-3/4 cup)
- 2 tsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup or another preferred sweetener
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup water
- Grate the carrot and pop in to a small saucepan together with the rolled oats, flaxseed, sweetener and spices. Pour in the almond milk, water and vanilla extract. Stir everything together.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-10 minutes, or until the porridges reaches your preferred consistency. Add a little extra water and/or almond milk to thin the porridge out as it’s cooking, if needed.
- If you’d like to add some additional protein, while the porridge is cooking, simply add in a whisked egg or a few tablespoons of your preferred protein powder. If you’re adding the egg, make sure to stir briskly so the egg becomes completely incorporated in to the porridge.
- Serve the porridge piping hot with a sprinkle of extra cinnamon and toppings of your choice (pictured is a topping of coconut yoghurt, blueberries and pumpkin seeds).