Creamy quinoa porridge with flaxseed is my current cool weather breakfast addiction. Using super soft quinoa flakes, this porridge cooks in a matter of minutes and is so deliciously thick! I also add a spoonful of ground flaxseed for a boost of healthy fats, protein and fibre. Gluten free, nut free and dairy free.
After living in the UK for three years, it’s safe to say my porridge obsession is well and truly with me forever. Although porridge is a bit of a “thing” down under in Australia, I think it’s even more prevalent over there. Porridge is life. (Probably due to the way larger proportion of colder mornings over in the UK – which are greatly improved by a hot bowl of porridge!)
This creamy quinoa porridge is a recent discovery for me. I had made quinoa flake porridge ages ago but totally overcooked it, and it really ruined the experience for me. Quinoa porridge, ew gross! But fast forward a few years later, I had the most DELICIOUS quinoa porridge at a Sydney cafe – very unexpected! It was so soft, creamy and studded with yummy berries and seeds.
So I gave quinoa porridge a try again and it turns out I love it!
To make a perfectly creamy quinoa porridge, the trick is to not overcook it into total gunk. Pop all of the ingredients into a small saucepan, pop it over a moderate heat and let it bubble for about 3 minutes, no longer. Soft, fluffy creamy quinoa porridge.
Because quinoa flakes are so fine and well, flaky, they make a very silky smooth porridge. The texture is quite different to porridge cooked with whole rolled oats, which is the type of oats I usually make porridge with. The oat porridge turns out much more chunky than this version. They’re both good in their own way 🙂 I think the quinoa porridge is almost like a pudding in texture.
For a little something extra, I add a tablespoon of ground flaxseed to my creamy quinoa porridge. The flaxseed is very absorbent and helps to give the quinoa porridge its lovely soft, silky texture. I like this creamy quinoa porridge best with the flaxseed in there, but if you don’t add the flaxseed, you can reduce the amount of liquid you add.
Creamy Quinoa Porridge with Flaxseed
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (carton, not canned) or any other milk of choice
- 3/4 cup water
- extra milk (or water) to thin out porridge as desired
- maple syrup to serve
- toppings to serve
- Place quinoa flakes, ground flaxseed, cinnamon, 1/2 cup coconut milk and 3/4 cup water in a saucepan. Stir to combine.
- Cook the porridge over a moderate heat on the stove, stirring gently. The porridge should start to bubble and thicken within 2 minutes. Reduce the heat if it starts bubbling too much. Cook for no longer than 3 minutes. Add a little extra water or milk if the porridge becomes too thick during cooking.
- Serve the porridge piping hot with a drizzle of maple syrup and toppings of choice.
p.s. Are you a huge porridge fan? You might also like my Carrot Cake Oat Porridge – it’s a reader favourite!