Apple zucchini snack cake is made with wholesome ingredients for a delicious but healthy afternoon treat. This cake is not too sweet and the perfect bite when you’re in need of a nourishing energy boost. Gluten free and dairy free.
NOTE: This is an older recipe of mine first published on Nourish Every Day in February 2015! I have re-tested the recipe, made some adjustments and added some (hopefully much better!) photos. A new and improved Apple Zucchini Snack Cake!
With my kitchen up and running again after a few months of renovations, I have been LOVING my new oven. Many batches of brownies have been tested already, and we’ve had a few pizza nights…all so yum! Happy days. I’ve also been taking some time to review my blog and revamp some of my very old favourites; including this apple zucchini snack cake. I’ve been making this cake for longer than the blog has existed!
This one isn’t really quite sure whether it’s a bread or a cake, but it’s got quite a nice sweet taste to it so I’ve said it’s a cake. Also the idea of a “snack cake” really appeals to me, because who wants to reserve cake just for special occasions? Snack cake can be eaten any old day, any day you need a snack.
- grated apple,
- grated zucchini,
- almond meal and
- buckwheat flour,
apple zucchini snack cake has a pretty nutritious base. Only 5 tablespoons of honey are used to sweeten the cake (I think you could cut this down to 3 tbsp if you want to go lower sugar), so there’s not too much sugary-ness going on here either. I do like to add a sprinkle of sultanas into the batter for little sweet bursts, but again this is optional. For texture, adding a half cup of chopped pecans or walnuts is also delish.
For convenience, I like to bake this apple zucchini snack cake in a loaf tin so that it can be sliced up and stored easily. This is something I like to make as part of meal prep; I’ll keep a few slices in the fridge and then freeze the rest. You can let it defrost and eat cold, or toast it in a pan (just cook it a minute or two on each side, SO easy) or sandwich press if you have one. I’m also partial to adding on a little butter or nut butter!
Apple Zucchini Snack Cake
- 1 medium-sized apple (I often use a Granny Smith apple)
- 1 medium-sized zucchini
- 150 grams almond meal - 1 and 1/2 cups
- 105 grams buckwheat flour - 3/4 cup
- 30 grams tapioca flour - approx. 4 tablespoons
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 60 mL coconut oil measured melted - scant 1/4 cup
- 5 tbsp honey or other liquid sweetener of choice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sultanas - OPTIONAL
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds - OPTIONAL (for topping the cake)
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Line a small baking tin with baking paper; I used a small loaf tin which has approximately a 1-litre capacity.
- Grate zucchini and apple and set aside.
- Combine almond flour, buckwheat flour, tapioca flour, bicarb, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, honey and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine to form a smooth batter. It will be thick, almost like a wet dough. As the mixture is coming together, stir in the grated apple, grated zucchini and sultanas (if using them) as well.
- Once the ingredients are combined, add in the 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar and stir the batter so it's just mixed in. (It will react with the bicarb, creating bubbles and giving rise and softness).
- Scoop the mixture into your baking tin and smooth down the top evenly. Sprinkle over pumpkin seeds if using. Bake for approximately 45-55 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the centre of the cake feels firm to touch. (Baking time will depend on your oven, they all vary, and shape of your baking tin - a loaf tin will take a little longer as the cake is deeper).
- Allow the cake to cool fully on a wire rack, then slice.
p.s. I’ve realised I have an obsession with baking with zucchini. If you wanna try some more zucchini baking recipes…
- Almond Flour Lemon Zucchini Loaf Cake
- Grain Free Zucchini Banana Bread
- Oat, Hazelnut and Zucchini Cake
- Nut Free, Grain Free Zucchini Bread