Sweet vegan buckwheat crepes spiced with a hint of cinnamon, vanilla and coconut sugar. These easy gluten free crepes are made with only five core ingredients and are the perfect vehicle all of your favourite fillings and toppings, go wild!
Each time I posted about making crepes on my Instagram, everyone went wild for it. I mean, it’s hard not to love a stack of crepes covered with sweet toppings, but even still the enthusiasm levels were high! So, I though it was about time I popped up my recipe for vegan buckwheat crepes.
Making lovely gluten free, vegan crepes is simple once you get the batter right, but I did need to do some testing. Without the stretchy-ness of gluten or an egg to bind the recipe together, it can be difficult to create a nice crepe that you can roll or fold – but I just really wanted to nail a simple, plant-based recipe. After quite a few batches, I decided the best fix is adding a small amount of ground flaxseed. This helps to keep the crepes supple.
Once you’ve got that silky batter down pat, it’s just a matter of briefly cooking in the pan and then it’s onto a plate to be smothered in toppings.
These vegan buckwheat crepes are given a gentle flavour with a little coconut sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. You don’t have to add all of those ingredients, though I do think the little bit of coconut sugar helps to brown the crepes and make them go a little crispy on the edges (YUM). The cinnamon and vanilla are definitely optional.
In the recipe below I’ve also included a super simple recipe for a no-cook, dairy free/vegan chocolate sauce. Because sweet crepes and chocolate sauce belong together, right! It’s literally just:
- nut butter (smooth peanut butter, cashew butter, almond butter, whatever you fancy. Maybe hazelnut butter for a Nutella-ish feel)
- cacao powder
- liquid sweetener (I used coconut syrup for the crepes pictured but you can use maple syrup, honey etc.)
- milk of choice (I used a coconut-rice blend but almond, rice, oat, hemp etc. would also work)
Just whisk it all together and voila. A little chocolate loving for your sweet vegan buckwheat crepes!
Sweet Vegan Buckwheat Crepes
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour - 45-50 grams
- 2 tbsp brown rice flour - 18-20 grams
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed - 7-9 grams
- 80 mL coconut milk - carton coconut milk, NOT canned. Substitute rice, oat, almond, etc. as you like
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon - OPTIONAL
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract - OPTIONAL
- Combine buckwheat flour, brown rice flour, flaxseed, coconut sugar and cinnamon (if using cinnamon) in a bowl.
- Add the 80mL milk, vanilla extract and 120mL of water to the dry ingredients. Whisk with a fork until smoothly combined.
- Place the batter in the fridge and leave to rest for at least one hour. (You can leave it overnight; I recommend covering it if leaving it for a while).
- After resting remove batter from the fridge. Add another 3-4 tbsp of water or milk to the batter and whisk again. It should be thin; almost as thin as the consistency of cream.
- Heat a non stick pan up to a medium heat on the stove, and very lightly oil. Pour in about 1/4 cup of the batter and tilt the pan around so the batter spreads out thinly and evenly. Cook the crepe for about 3 minutes, until it's basically cooked through and the edges are looking a little crisp (they may curl up a little). Then, gently flip and cook for one more minute.
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter; you should get 4 crepes. As they finish cooking, place them inside a tea towel that's folded in half on a plate, to keep them nice and warm. Then serve them with your favourite toppings/fillings!
- 1 tbsp smooth natural peanut butter
- 2 tsp coconut syrup
- 2 tsp cacao powder
- a coconut-rice milk blend
If you like sweet, warming, yet healthy breakfasts, you might also like:
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes
- Healthy Carrot Cake Oat Porridge
- Paleo Baked Oatmeal “N-oatmeal”