Making your own nut butter is so easy. I love to make up creations that are difficult to track down in store and invent flavours to suit my individual taste (okay, and I just generally love going a bit crazy with weird combinations, too). A while back, I received a sample of a delicious activated almond, goji and chia butter from Planet Organic and so I thought – why not try making a fruit-nut combo like this at home? Cue a delivery of the best chewy goji berries from Creative Nature Superfoods and that was all the encouragement I needed to make this beautiful nut butter. It’s just so especially good with all those crunchy, chewy and slightly sweet bits you get from adding the chia seeds and the goji berries. I love it!
NGC Butter (Nut, Goji + Chia Seed Butter)
- 2 1/2 cups raw mixed nuts
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/3 cup goji berries (I used Creative Nature Superfoods)
- 1/2-1 tsp salt
- 1/2-1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 C and spread the raw nuts out across a large oven tray. Roast the nuts for 10 - 15 minutes, until slightly browned (and they'll smell delicious!). Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Place nuts in a food processor and blend on high speed until the nuts start releasing their oils and breaking down into a smooth butter.
- Once the butter has started to become nice and smooth, add in the chia seeds, goji berries, salt and cinnamon. Give it a little stir with a spoon (otherwise when you process again all of the add-ins fly around the processor). Then, process again to mix it all together and lightly break up the goji berries into tiny chunks.
- Transfer into a clean sterilized jar. This should keep for at least a month if you use a properly clean jar (if it lasts that long at your place!).