When you can’t decide between potato and sweet potato, the answer is to clearly have a little bit of both. They pair perfectly with crunchy hazelnuts and a zesty, lemon-infused dressing in this recipe. Which is by the way, one of the easiest recipes ever. But it looks so beautiful you’ll feel like you’ve created a work of art! Leftovers will last a few days in the fridge too; toss through some leftover roast meat, fish or add a couple of boiled eggs and you have yourself a speedy lunch.
Mixed Potato Salad with Roasted Hazelnuts
- 600 grams sweet potatoes
- 600 grams any other potatoes
- 60 grams baby kale leaves or rocket leaves (4-5 large handfuls)
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 lemon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 180 C. Spread the hazelnuts out on an oven tray and toast for 7 - 10 minutes until they're browning and smell delicious. Remove from the oven, allow to cool and chop roughly. Set aside.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and potatoes and cut into equal sized large cubes. Steam and/or roast the potatoes until just tender (my favourite way to cook them for this salad is to steam them until almost done, then pop them in the oven for 10 minutes so they get a slightly drier, crisped outside). Allow to cool.
- Make the dressing by combining the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and juice of the lemon in a small jar or mug and shaking / whisking together. You can also add a little finely grated lemon zest for extra zing.
- Arrange the salad by spreading out the salad leaves in a large bowl or on a large plate, then gently tossing the potato chunks throughout. Scatter over the hazelnuts and the pour over the dressing. Season with salt and pepper to finish.