These delicious Kakadu plum and ginger energy balls are made with sweet medjool dates, creamy cashews and quinoa flakes. Gluten free, dairy free and totally vegan-friendly, these vitamin-C boosted bites are the perfect way to get your healthy snack on.
*This recipe post is sponsored by The Australian Superfood Co. All opinions expressed, the recipe and the photographs are my own.
One of the best things about chilly days is that you can definitely, definitely enjoy more tea (or coffee) and snack breaks! When I’m holed up indoors working on the blog or doing one of the million uni assignments I have due, snack time is always a welcome distraction.
My latest addition to snack time are these Kakadu plum and ginger energy balls. Sweet, chewy and delicious with a little ginger kick. A jar of these in the fridge doesn’t last very long!
Made with medjool dates, cashews, quinoa flakes and cacao, these bites are full of natural goodness. They’re also gluten free, dairy free and totally vegan-friendly.
What is Kakadu plum?
Kakadu plum is an Australian native plant which is also sometimes called the billygoat plum or gubinge. The fruit is small, green and kind of shaped like a slightly oversized almond. Quite different from the plums you’re used to seeing in the supermarket!
The fruit has some pretty amazing nutritional properties; it’s been recorded as having up to 100 times the vitamin C of an orange. So, just a touch of freeze dried Kakadu plum powder will sort you out for a vitamin C hit – a perfect preventative measure against the winter colds n’ flu.
The Kakadu plum powder adds a lovely tangy element to these energy balls that works so well with the ginger. Whip these up in your food processor!
Kakadu Plum and Ginger Energy Balls
- 1 packed cup medjool dates - 220 grams, or about 11-12 dates
- 1 and 1/2 cups cashews (raw, unsalted) - about 200 grams
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 5 tsp Kakadu plum powder from The Australian Superfood Co.
- 2-3 tsp ground ginger - adjust according to taste
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut OR 1/2 cup sesame seeds, OR a mix, for coating the balls
- Remove the pits from the medjool dates and place in a food processor along with the cashews. Process so the dates and cashews break up a little, into a rough sticky crumb.
- Add the quinoa flakes, cacao powder, ginger and Kakadu plum powder. Continue to process until the mixture forms a sticky dough. It will probably start to come together as one big ball in the food processor.
- Scoop out heaped teaspoons of the mixture and roll into a ball. Roll in coconut or sesame seeds to coat. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Pop the energy balls in the fridge, where they will firm up a bit. Keep them stored in the fridge where they should last for a few weeks. They can also be frozen if you want to keep them for longer!