Tasty, chewy and nutritious bliss balls made with natural dried apricots, cashews and crunchy pumpkin seeds. Gluten free, dairy free, no added sugar – the perfect healthy snack!
Just over a week ago I had the pleasure of catering a boutique breakfast event in London for Jurlique UK, celebrating the launch of their new beauty counter inside Debenhams on Oxford St. It was such a fun morning and I love any opportunity to create beautiful, healthy food for people.
One of the requests for the event were some bliss balls (or energy balls, bites, etc – whatever you like to call them!). These are always a favourite and make the perfect healthy snack, giving you a quick energy boost when you’re on the go. I think they’re also pretty nice for a healthier dessert option when you just want a little something sweet, nothing too over the top (I also really like my Lemon, Cashew and Coconut Energy Balls for a quick dessert!).
My apricot, cashew and pumpkin seed bliss balls combine some of my favourite snacky ingredients in to one convenient bite. Natural dried apricots (which are actually a deep dark brownish colour, NOT bright orange!) are deliciously chewy, tasty, high fibre and interestingly actually contain a relatively high amount of iron. Combined with creamy cashews and the crunch of pumpkin seeds for healthy fats, you have one tasty bliss ball.
For a little something extra, I also blended in a few spoonfuls of Aduna’s baobab powder, which I was sent to sample a little while ago. Baobab has a sweet, citrusy, sherbet-like kind of flavour that adds a bit of zest to these snacks, though you can leave it out if it’s not available. Also, as you’ll see in the recipe instructions below, you can choose to make these with a protein powder or alternatively with rolled oats (or something similar like quinoa flakes), depending on your preference.
Either way, these apricot, cashew and pumpkin seed bliss balls are delicious, all natural, super easy to make and better yet, you can freeze them for a few months and have a healthy snack or dessert on hand when ever you need it!
Apricot Cashew and Pumpkin Seed Bliss Balls
- 200 grams dried apricots (1 cup, firmly packed)
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 2 tbsp baobab powder (I used Aduna Baobab) (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup protein powder (OR 1/2 cup rolled oats, quinoa flakes, buckwheat flakes)
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut, for rolling (optional)
- Place apricots and cashews in to a food processor and process until the apricots are blended together and the cashews have formed a fine crumb.
- Add the protein powder (or the rolled oats or other cereal flake), baobab (if using), cinnamon and the water to the processor and blend again until well combined.
- Finally, add in the pumpkin seeds. Pulse just enough so the pumpkin seeds break into smaller pieces, but large enough so you get some crunch through the mix.
- Scoop out heaped tablespoons of the mixture, pressing together with your fingers, and then roll in to balls. You can dust them in desiccated coconut if you like, but they won't be too sticky so you can skip this if you prefer.
- Pop the bliss balls in to a container and store in the fridge for up to a week, or keep them in the freezer where they'll keep for a few months, no problems.