Coconut tahini stuffed dates make the best sweet snack or mini dessert. In each mouthful you get the caramel flavour of medjool dates, sweet coconut and creamy tahini. Super easy to make, gluten free, dairy free and vegan-friendly.
It’s been a busy few weeks at my place; I’ve been plagued by assignments and feeling-guilty-when-not-working-on-assignments! Haha. A very horrible and pesky kind of guilt that’s very hard to shake off. And which tends to get progressively worse and worse because it’s so tempting to ignore your assignment and do satisfying chores like tidying your bedroom and cooking nice food. Whoops.
Now that I’ve got a few minutes to spare though, I want to share my recipe for these coconut tahini stuffed dates. They’re one of the sweet snacks that really helped bump me through my last round of study and assignments! The perfect bite size, these stuffed dates provide a sweet little energy boost coupled with healthy satisfying fats from the tahini. Seriously yum, these are perfect for afternoon tea or for a cheeky quick dessert.
(Or for any time you need to take a break from something that is driving you insane!)
The best thing about these coconut tahini stuffed dates is that they are a total breeze to make! Just mix together the filling and scoop it in, then pop the dates into the fridge or freezer to set. I actually like eating mine straight from the freezer – I find dates to be super sweet, and eating them from frozen kind of mellows out the sweetness a bit. Plus I just love the firmer texture. If you can handle the coldness, try it!
In case you haven’t noticed from other recipes on this site or from my Instagram feed, I am pretty obsessed with tahini and just loooove finding a way to squeeze it in to any meal, any way that I can find. However if you are not totally tahini mad like me, then you can use a nut butter in this recipe instead e.g.
- almond butter;
- cashew butter;
- peanut butter; or
- macadamia nut butter.
If you try this recipe, tell me whether you like them frozen or from the fridge! Leave me a comment below, or why not take a snap and tag me on Instagram, I’m @nourish_everyday 🙂
Coconut Tahini Stuffed Dates
- 16 medjool dates
- 1/2 cup tahini (I used hulled tahini in this recipe)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Place tahini in a small saucepan and place over a low heat on the stove, so the tahini softens. Add in the vanilla, cinnamon and maple syrup (if using all of them) and combine. Add in the shredded coconut and mix again to form a thick paste. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- While the tahini mixture is cooling, remove pits from the dates, carefully slicing down one side of the date only, so you've got something to scoop the tahini mix into.
- Stuff each date with approximately 1 heaped teaspoon of the tahini mix, placing them on a tray/plate as you go. Once all the dates have been stuffed, place in the fridge or freezer for one hour to firm up. (They may need slightly longer in the fridge; I usually put them in the freezer).
- Enjoy! These can be kept in the fridge or freezer. They should keep well for about three months if frozen.