Crisp honey olive oil granola made with a few simple pantry ingredients that comes together in no time. It’s all natural, much lower in sugar than store-bought, plus it’s gluten free and dairy free! An easy healthy breakfast option.
So I’m not sure where the time went, but somehow it’s been more than two weeks since we moved to Barcelona! Time spent on holiday is the fastest moving time ever, guys. Luckily, at the end of this break I get to move back to my Sydney home…something I’m dearly looking forward to. So there isn’t a bitter ending here!
Something else pretty sweet (but not too sweet) is this recipe for honey olive oil granola. Perfectly toasted crispy oats, crunchy seeds and nuts, with a pinch of cinnamon and golden honey. It’s just such a delicious combination. With only 100 mL of honey in the recipe, if you divide it into ten serves that’s just 10 mL per serve, about 2 teaspoons of honey. There’s no other sugar here!
Making honey olive oil granola is something I’ve wanted to experiment with for a while. Now that we’re in Spain, with amazing local olive oil sold everywhere, the timing is perfect. Though I often make granola using coconut oil, I appreciate not everyone is a coconut fan and also that not everyone buys it! Olive oil is also fantastic for granola, it’s widely used AND it’s one of the healthiest oils. (Buy a quality cold pressed virgin or extra virgin one.)
Combined with honey for sweetness, olive oil produces a wonderfully crisp granola with a lovely flavour. It does not have a super peppery olive oil flavour, don’t worry! Honey olive oil granola definitely tastes like it should be on your breakfast table. It’s so easy to make, and even easier to eat. With a big scoop of yoghurt, and a rainbow of fruit. Enjoy!
Easy Honey Olive Oil Granola
- 2 and 1/2 cups rolled oats - certified gluten free as required*
- 1 cup puffed buckwheat or puffed rice, or coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100 mL honey
- 60 mL extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160 C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper (or make sure you use a non-stick tray).
- Combine oats, seeds, nuts, puffed buckwheat (or puffed rice or coconut flakes) and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour honey, olive oil and vanilla into a separate bowl or jug. Add two tablespoons of boiling/very hot water and whisk it all together.
- Add the wet ingredient mix to the dry ingredients and stir with a large spoon until the dry mix is evenly coated.
- Spread the mixture out across the tray, in a thin layer. Bake for 20-30 minutes (depending on oven strength). Check on the mixture every 7-8 minutes and give it a stir and flip so that the edges don't burn.
- The granola will turn a golden caramel brown once cooked. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool completely; it will crisp up. Once cooled, store in an airtight container, it should last 2-3 weeks.
And guess what? You can now WATCH me make this granola, check out my little video here!