This cinnamon and ginger granola recipe is a staple in our house. I almost always have a jar of this sitting on the kitchen counter to add as a crunchy topping to my meals. I make this granola for everyone – healthy food fanatics and non-fanatics alike – and it’s always so well received; there’s just something about this combination!
You won’t feel like you’re eating something healthy, yet this cinnamon ginger granola is full of nourishing whole oats, protein-packed seeds and lots of good fats. It’s also fructose free and vegan-friendly if you make it with rice malt syrup (sometimes called brown rice syrup), and you don’t add any fruit.
This recipe is SO easy to whip up and you can change it up by swapping some of the ingredients around e.g. substitute chopped almonds or pecans for some of the seeds. A delicious snack on its own, my cinnamon and ginger granola also makes the perfect topping for yoghurt or a chia pudding.
Healthy Cinnamon and Ginger Granola
- 2 cups rolled oats (gluten free)
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup buckwheat groats
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/3 cup rice malt syrup a.k.a. brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil measured melted, i.e. 60mL
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 150˚C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Place all of the dry ingredients, including the spices, into a large mixing bowl.
- Melt together rice malt syrup, coconut oil and vanilla in a small saucepan over a low heat, so the mixture is nice and runny.
- Pour the runny liquid over the dry muesli mix and combine thoroughly.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the baking tray, in a thin layer. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, gently stirring and flipping the mixture around once or twice during the cooking process to prevent burning. The granola should turn a deep golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool; the granola will harden as it does so.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature, for up to 6 weeks, if it lasts that long!