This turmeric chicken stir fry is such a lovely and simple one-pan dish that can be ready in no time. It’s perfect for a quick mid-week meal, or as a healthy swap to your weekend takeaway!
Rather than relying on a store-bought stir fry paste, which is often packed with sugar, salt and artificial thickeners and/or emulsifiers, just make up this little paste yourself. It’s economical and totally crap-free. In a pinch you could always use a little garlic powder if you don’t have fresh garlic laying around too; this way you just need long-life dried spices for this meal.
I love to serve this turmeric chicken stir fry with some brown rice and steamed broccoli for a bright, balanced and satisfying plate of goodness. You could also fold through some cooked rice noodles and steamed Asian greens (like bok choy) for a gorgeous golden noodle bowl! Add some toasted cashews on top for extra crunch.
Golden Turmeric Chicken Stir Fry
- 500 grams chicken breast or thigh, skinless
- 1 capsicum
- 1-2 cloves garlic - adjust depending on size of cloves
- 2-3 tsp curry powder *
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds - OPTIONAL
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes - OPTIONAL
- 1 handful coriander - fresh, OPTIONAL
- coconut oil for frying
- In a cup or small bowl, combine the curry powder, turmeric, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic and honey. Add 2-3 tablespoons of water and stir until you have a smooth thin paste.
- Dice the chicken into chunks, roughly about 2 cm cubes. Slice the capsicum into thin strips.
- Heat a fry pan to a high heat and add a tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook for a few minutes until sealed (i.e. no pink visible), then reduce to a medium heat and add the capsicum and pour over your spice paste.
- Continue to cook for a further 5-8 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. If the sauce dries up too much, just add a touch of water.
- Remove from heat, scatter over the coriander (tear up and remove any thick tough stems first), poppy seeds and chilli (if using) and serve immediately with a side of veggies, quinoa and/or rice.
Leave a Reply