Sweet Corn and Broccoli Slice is a quick healthy recipe that makes a great lunch, dinner or between-meals snack! You can cut this slice into thin fingers for kids to munch on. Easy to make and perfect meal prep. This recipe is part of a series of healthy kids’ recipes made in collaboration with Australian Eggs.
Are you a broccoli lover or a broccoli hater? Although it’s often touted as an evil vegetable I feel like more and more people are joining team broccoli. Personally, it’s one of my favourite veggies (possibly a fave food, really)! Cheap, super nutritious and really versatile, I love it.
This sweet corn and broccoli slice uses finely chopped broccoli, tinned corn and an optional handful of cheese to create a delicious bake that’s perfect for lunches, dinner or even just a quick snack. The great thing about a slice is that you can cut it up into whatever portion size you need – which also makes it perfect for children because you can cut it into cute little fingers for them!
The key ingredient in this slice is Australian Eggs, of course; creamy, delicious, high in protein and wonderful at binding everything together. Eggs are an ideal protein to serve to everyone; they’re easily digested and offer all the essential amino acids we need for growth, development and repair.
What I also love about this slice is that there’s very little effort involved (I mean, who doesn’t love that about a recipe?!). You don’t have to cook the broccoli before it goes into the slice because it’s chopped finely, and of course tinned corn needs nothing done to it. Simply whisk together eggs, milk and flour and pop it all together ready for the oven.
Get the kids involved in making this Sweet Corn and Broccoli Slice
Involve the kids in not only eating but making this yummy Sweet Corn and Broccoli Slice! Here are some ideas.
- Ask the kids to help chop up the broccoli (using a kid-safe knife and supervised, of course).
- Kids can also crack the eggs and whisk together eggs, milk and flour.
- Have the kids arrange all the veggies in the baking dish and pour over the egg mixture.
This recipe is a great one for lunch boxes too because it’s allergy friendly and it’s delicious hot or cold. Winner! Let me know if you bake up this delicious slice by tagging @nourish_everyday on Instagram and use the hashtag #EggFam!
Sweet Corn and Broccoli Slice
- 8 eggs
- 1/3 cup gluten free flour
- 1/3 cup milk of choice
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 can corn kernels 400-420 grams
- 1 handful fresh parsley or chives
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil or butter for greasing baking dish
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese – OPTIONAL
- Preheat oven to 180 C and grease a square baking dish with olive oil or butter.
- Drain the corn kernels and set aside.
- Chop the broccoli into very fine florets; almost like a very chunky broccoli “rice”. Roughly chop the herbs.
- Mix together the corn, broccoli and herbs (plus the cheese if you are using it) and spread evenly into the baking dish.
- Whisk together the eggs, then whisk in the flour, milk and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the rest of the ingredients. Bake in the oven for approximately 35 minutes, or until the slice has set and the top is golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing into pieces. The slice can be kept in the fridge for around 4 days.