A chocolate smoothie is one of those things that always tastes just that little bit indulgent, no matter how healthy you make it! In this super easy protein smoothie recipe, I’ve used a new organic whey protein powder I’ve been given to trial from the lovely folks at Whey Ahead. They’re focussed on creating pure, organically-sourced natural protein without any chemical additives. The Peruvian Chocolate Whey is comprised of only organic whey protein concentrate, lucuma (acting as a natural sweetener, it’s got a lovely custardy-sweet flavour), cacao + carob. It’s got a heavenly dark chocolate flavour and works wonderfully with the sweetness of the mango in this replenishing smoothie. You will love it, it’s perfect for a quick brekky or for re-charging after a gym session.
If you have the time, I definitely recommend enjoying this protein smoothie with the toppings I’ve suggested below. Even if you don’t smash the raspberries up (as done for the smoothie pictured), simply drop them into the smoothie and sprinkle in the cacao nibs. The bursts of berry sweetness and the crunch of the cacao is just divine!
Chocolate Mango Protein Smoothie
- 100 grams mango chunks, frozen (1 cup)
- 1 large handful romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 tsp almond butter or tahini
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (Whey Ahead Organic Peruvian Chocolate**)
- 1 cup coconut milk (carton, not canned) or milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp maca powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- 1/4 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- Place all of the smoothie ingredients in a blender and process until smooth and slightly frothy. You can add a little extra water to thin out the smoothie, if you prefer.
- Pour the smoothie into your serving glass. Place the raspberries in a small bowl and smash them up a little with a fork, then top the smoothie with them. Sprinkle over the cacao nibs. Serve!
Leave a Reply