Protein Packed Banana Porridge is a simple to make healthy breakfast that tastes wonderful! It’s a great breakfast for kids. Cooking eggs into the oats makes this especially nutritious. This fruit sweetened porridge is part of my series of healthy kids’ recipes made in partnership with Australian Eggs.
I love starting a chilly morning with a warm bowl of porridge. It’s one of those “hug in a bowl” kind of meals, and it’s also wonderfully nutritious. My protein packed banana porridge is especially nourishing, as it combines the whole grain goodness of oats and the nutrient power of eggs.
This fruity porridge is a great meal for children. Cooking banana into the porridge (I recommend using a slightly overripe one) makes it sweet without the need for very much added sweetener. I don’t think you need any extra in the porridge; just use a little drizzle of honey or maple syrup on top. Plus, this porridge is also high in fibre and protein, sure to keep bellies satisfied and bodies growing!
If you’ve never cooked an egg into your oats before, this is a great recipe to get started with. I know it might seem like an odd concept at first, but a whisked egg cooks invisibly into oats and just makes them thicker, creamier and more satisfying.
Mixing an egg into porridge also means you’re fortifying your brekky with additional protein, iron, choline and fat-soluble vitamins including vitamins A & E. Eggs are such a natural nutrient powerhouse – they’re one of my favourite proteins because of how convenient (and delicious) they are. It’s easy to always keep a carton in the fridge, ready to add to breakfast, lunch or dinner.
It’s easy to get kids involved in cooking my protein packed banana porridge:
- Ask for help preparing the ingredients, like measuring the oats and milk, chopping or mashing the banana, and whisking the egg.
- With appropriate supervision, kids can stir the porridge on the stove and help to add in the banana and the egg.
- Work with the kids to set up a “toppings bar” with yoghurt, chopped fruit, nuts and seeds, so they can decorate their healthy porridge bowls.
This is a wonderfully simple recipe that will become a breakfast staple in your home, and it’s a novel way to get in those nourishing eggs at brekky. Let me know if you make this recipe by tagging @nourish_everyday on Instagram and use the hashtag #EggFam!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk of choice plus extra to add during cooking
- 1 banana preferably overripe
- 1-2 eggs use 2 eggs if they are on the small side
- cinnamon to taste
- honey or maple syrup to taste
- Finely slice or mash the banana and set aside. Whisk the egg/s and set aside.
- Place the oats, water and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and cook, stirring gently, for about 5 minutes or until the mixture starts to soften and thicken.
- Add the banana, whisked egg and a pinch of cinnamon and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously, until the ingredients have been thoroughly incorporated and the egg has cooked into the porridge. If the porridge is too thick, add extra water or milk.
- Serve the porridge hot with a drizzle of honey or maple syrup. Add toppings as desired.