Anything that I can cook from start to finish in just one big pot is a HUGE win in my books. I spend so much time in my kitchen experimenting, I think I’ve already completed a life time of washing up! If you’re anything like me – or heck, you’re just a normal person who loathes to wash up too much – you are going to love this one pot beef and quinoa chilli recipe. Chop up a few veggies quickly, and then just bung everything into a big pot on the stove, and it all magically cooks together into incredible food. Better still, this is a meal that will last a few days in the fridge and also freezes well too, making it so super efficient.
In your big one pot beef and quinoa chilli you get everything – tender veggies, replenishing protein, quality carbohydrates and fibre. It’s a perfect balanced plate on its own (amazing for those nights when you can’t face doing more than heat + eat!) but I love this chilli best served with some fresh salad or steamed greens and cauliflower puree. If you can tolerate dairy, also try topping it with a tablespoon of good quality Greek yoghurt for a delicious creamy contrast to that hot chilli flavour! Some mashed avocado on top works a dream as well, if you’d prefer a dairy free option.
I’ve recommended onion and capsicum for the vegetables in this recipe, but there’s no reason you can\’t add more plants to the chilli. If you’ve got any veggies that are starting to look a bit sad, add them into this beef and quinoa chilli to bulk it up and make it even more nourishing.
As a little side note (but very relevant to this recipe); buying good quality meat is important to me, and I try to buy grass fed, local meat as often as I can. I’m lucky to have a small farmer’s market near me on the weekend which is a great place to pick up a wide variety of meat, poultry & fish. When I don’t buy from there I also like to order from local butchers via Hubbub (a delivery service that operates in my area), and also Field & Flower meat boxes are brilliant. When all else fails I look for organic beef mince in the supermarket aisle!
One Pot Healthy Beef and Quinoa Chill
- 400 grams beef mince, preferably grass-fed, organic
- 2-3 capsicums
- 2 brown onions
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 400 grams tinned tomatoes (1 regular tin)
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or other fat for frying
- Peel the onions and wash the capsicum, then slice both thickly. Peel the garlic and crush through a garlic press or chop finely.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan/pot (with a lid) over the stove, on a high heat. Add the onion and the capsicum and sauté for 2-3 minutes until the onion starts to turn translucent. Add in the mince, garlic and all of the dried spices, breaking up the mince with a large spoon, and continue to cook until the meat is browned.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes, quinoa, and the stock, and stir until combined. Allow the mixture to heat until bubbling, then reduce the stove temperature low enough so the mixture is just simmering.
- Place the lid on the saucepan so it's just slightly ajar, and allow the chilli to gently simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the quinoa has cooked completely and the mixture is nice and thick. You can add another half cup of stock or water toward the end of the cooking process, if needed.
- Serve nice and hot with sides of your choice.