A thick green protein smoothie bowl is a quick, satisfying healthy breakfast ready in no time. Paleo and gluten free, and easy to keep dairy free and vegan too.
NOTE: This recipe was originally posted in October 2014. I’ve revised and updated the recipe, and added photographs to this post!
Guys, I actually love green smoothies. And I love smoothie bowls. So a green protein smoothie bowl? Just heavenly to me (if it’s made right, of course). Given it’s been more than a few years since I started eating them, I reckon I’m outlasting the fad, and have entered long-term relationship territory. You don’t have to have one every day and you don’t have to do it because everyone else is doing it. Just pile your smoothie bowl high however YOU like it.
This green protein smoothie bowl was actually the first smoothie bowl recipe I posted on Nourish Every Day, way back in October of 2014. A simple combination of frozen fruit and veggies, flaxseed and protein powder, this basic bowl is still one of my favourites. I always have these ingredients in my kitchen which makes it easy to prepare. Chopped up banana and zucchini are kept in zip lock bags in my freezer for dreamy smoothie preparation.
As this smoothie is such a long term favourite of mine, I thought it was about time I gave this blog post some love and refreshed it. After many years of making this particular bowl, I’ve become somewhat of an professional green protein smoothie bowl maker. So I’ve tweaked the recipe a bit to make it more simple, but creamier and more delicious (well, I think so anyway). I’ve also settled on a current favourite protein to use in it, which is Bare Blends Vanilla Bean WPI.
This really is one of my go-to high protein smoothie combinations when I need something filling but I am in a rush. By making my smoothie really thick and adding lots of crunchy toppings, I can pause for a little bit to sit down and chew this, which makes it way more satisfying than just slurping it down (and it’s better for your digestion too). Adding protein to this smoothie makes it a balanced easy meal; a great simple brekky! Hope this green protein smoothie bowl becomes a favourite of yours, too.
Green Protein Smoothie Bowl
- 1 large handful baby spinach
- 1 small frozen banana or half of a large one
- 1 - 1 and 1/2 cups frozen zucchini chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (carton, not canned), almond milk or another milk or choice
- 1 serve vanilla protein powder
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp peanut butter (swap to cashew butter for paleo)
- 2 tsp maca powder - OPTIONAL
- Place all ingredients into a high speed blender and process until nice and smooth. If it is too thick to blend, add a little extra coconut milk, or water, just until it's blend-able. You should get a nice thick, creamy consistency, almost like a soft serve.
- Scoop into a bowl. Add toppings of choice and enjoy!
p.s. love green smoothie bowls? You might also like my vegetable only Green Vegetable Smoothie Bowl! It’s a little more hardcore without any fruit to sweeten it, but I think it’s pretty ace.
Leave a Reply