I absolutely love oven-roasted cauliflower; I could eat a huge tray of the stuff on its own with just a sprinkle of salt and pepper! It’s also pretty amazing in this beautiful, simple salad. Freshly torn basil leaves are so fragrant and impart so much flavour, it hardly needs much dressing.
Cauliflower, Tomato and Basil Salad
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes or grape, or baby plum tomatoes
- 1 small handful basil (fresh)
- 2 handfuls baby spinach (about 20-30 grams baby spinach)
- 8-10 walnuts
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Make sure your cauliflower is chopped up into small florets (nicer to eat and they cook more quickly too). Spread out over a baking tray lined with baking paper and drizzle over half the olive oil and a good sprinkling of salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for about 20 minutes or until just turning crispy and brown at the edges. Remove and set aside.
- Chop the walnuts roughly into small pieces, and halve or quarter the tomatoes (depending on size).
- Once the cauliflower has cooled a little, place in a small bowl with the tomatoes and walnuts. Tear up the basil leaves and add them to the bowl. Pour over the remaining olive oil and season with a little extra salt and pepper, then toss around to combine.
- Serve up the salad. Place baby spinach in your bowl/plate then top with your cauliflower mixture. Squeeze over the juice from the lemon.