An easy healthy breakfast recipe for Banana Flax Turmeric Overnight Oats to get you going in the morning! Gluten free, dairy free and vegan friendly. Creamy, filling and so simple!
We all have mornings where the act of making breakfast is all just a bit too much or we’re really stuck for time. A pre-made healthy granola bar or a slice of sweet potato frittata can step in as a breakfast on the go, but a creamy bowl (or jar!) of overnight oats really hits the spot when you’re craving that traditional, oaty breakfast experience. Scooping out each delicious mouthful with a spoon – yum. Plus, it’s the perfect stand-in for porridge on warmer days!
These banana flax turmeric overnight oats are a combination of ALL of the good and tasty things you need in a breakfast.
- Energising carbohydrates and gut-friendly fibre and prebiotics from the banana and rolled oats.
- Healthy fats and protein from the flaxseed, milk and yoghurt.
- Topped off with a teaspoon of the all-round wonder spice turmeric; an ingredient valued for its incredible anti-inflammatory and healing properties.
A lot of overnight oats recipes use chia seeds to achieve a pudding consistency. (Chia easily absorbs about 9-12 times its volume in liquid.) I’ve used ground flaxseed, which I think is a bit less “trendy” but has equally great pudding-creating qualities! It’s an incredibly nutritious food. One of the richest plant sources of omega-3 essential fatty acids, a great source of fibre and a protein source.
For those who don’t enjoy the chew of chia seeds (or maybe just hate getting them stuck EVERYWHERE) this recipe is perfect for you. The flax creates such a thick, delicious texture.
I love to finish these oats off with an extra dollop of yoghurt, crunchy seeds and some berries (fresh or frozen; if you make it the night before the berries will defrost to a lovely compote for the morning).
To boost protein content, stir through a spoonful of unflavoured protein powder or some collagen powder when making the oats. Enjoy!
Banana Flax Turmeric Overnight Oats
- 1 small banana overripe is ideal
- 35 grams rolled oats (1/3 cup)
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 – 1 tsp ground turmeric – adjust depending on taste preference
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 2 tbsp yoghurt of choice
- Place oats, flaxseed, turmeric and cinnamon in a bowl, container or jar.
- Mash the banana thoroughly and add to the oat mixture.
- Pour in the milk and yoghurt. Stir everything until it's all evenly combined.
- Refrigerate for a 3-4 hours at least, or preferably overnight. The flaxseed will soak up lots of the liquid.
- Serve the overnight oats as is, or finish these overnight oats off with your favourite toppings. You can add the toppings prior to putting the oats in the fridge so you can just grab and go the next day.