So, I have started experimenting with savoury oats bowls as a quick and warming breakfast option, because in London there are just some mornings when all you want is hot porridge.
I couldn’t help but be sucked in by all of the weird and wonderful new savoury porridge creations I have seen around. Plus, oats are a very economical, cheap and readily available breakfast option for most people. Paired with some protein and some fresh fruit or veg, they can be a great way to start the day!
Variations: I have gone with a classic egg on top of my bowl, but I also recommend:
- Vegan option: you can easily keep this recipe vegan-friendly by leaving out the egg. If you’d like to substitute in a new topping, I recommend some lightly sauteed mushrooms.
- Indulgent cheesy option: instead of the nutritional yeast, stir a small handful of grated cheese through the oats toward the end of the cooking process (cheddar or gruyere are both lovely in this recipe).
- Meaty option: hey it’s breakfast… there’s nothing wrong with some bacon on top, too! A little smoked salmon with a poached egg would also be super tasty.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 medium zucchini
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 egg
- Grate the zucchini (or chop into very thin matchsticks or tiny dice, if you can’t be bothered with the grater).
- Pop the grated zucchini into a small saucepan together with the oats and almond milk, plus half a cup of water. On the stove, bring to boil and then reduce the heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 10 minutes, until soft and creamy; add a little extra water or milk as you go if you need to thin it out further. *If you are using protein powder as well stir this in while the oats are cooking.
- During the cooking, sprinkle in the salt and nutritional yeast; taste test and add extra seasoning if desired. Towards the last minute of the cooking, add in the handful of spinach so it wilts into the oats.
- Poach or fry the egg as you prefer to top your bowl off with.
- Serve the warm oats in a bowl with the poached egg. If using them, add the pumpkin seeds on top for crunch.