This gorgeous Salmon and Papaya Salad is bursting with fresh flavour. Marinated baked salmon is mixed with crunchy veggies, sweet juicy papaya and a zesty dressing. Gluten free and dairy free too! Thank you to Ruby Rise Papaya for sponsoring this post.
Well hello, warm weather. The sun has been toasting my shoulders on my morning walks and I’m excited about all of the fresh summery produce that’s on the shelves. If you love your summery foods too then you’re going to love this lush Salmon and Papaya Salad!
Crisp veggies, marinated salmon, juicy Ruby Rise Papaya and a zesty dressing make this salad just pop. And don’t forget a little mint and some crunchy roasted peanuts on top, too.
Papaya is one of those gorgeous fruits that works well in both sweet and savoury dishes, it’s so versatile. Add slices to a creamy Bircher muesli bowl or chop up to use in a salsa, papaya works all ways! I also just love papaya on its own, sliced up, fresh and chilled, straight from the fridge.
Something cool you might not know about papaya is that it’s also awesome for your digestion! Papaya contains a substance called papain, which acts as a digestive enzyme, helping your body break down food (namely, proteins). This makes it a nice healthy dessert option to have after a big meal.
Or hey, just make it the main event like I have here in my Salmon and Papaya Salad!
This recipe has all the elements going on – it’s crunchy, it’s got sweetness from the papaya, it’s got a little tang and a little saltiness in the dressing. What I also really love about this recipe is that the dressing doubles as the marinade for the salmon, saving you time and effort! Simply drizzle a little of the dressing over the salmon fillet before baking in the oven, and then use the rest as the dressing once the salad is done. Too easy.
If you’re not a salmon fan, you could also serve this salad with some shredded poached chicken, or for a vegetarian version use some pan-fried tofu or tempeh. No need to marinade the protein if you’re doing it that way, just use the salad dressing when serving.
Let me know if you make my Salmon and Papaya Salad! Take a snap and tag me @moniquecormacknutrition and @rubyrisepapaya on Instagram!
Salmon and Papaya Salad
- 200-250 grams salmon fillet skinless and boneless
- 1/2 medium red papaya I used Ruby Rise papaya
- 100 grams mixed salad leaves
- 1 lebanese cucumber
- 1/2 red capsicum
- 1 handful fresh mint leaves
- 3 tbsp crushed peanuts
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes – OPTIONAL
- lime wedges to serve – OPTIONAL
- salt and pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Make dressing by combining the juice of the lime with maple syrup, fish sauce and olive oil. Taste test the dressing and add a little extra maple syrup and/or fish sauce to balance out the tangy lime juice if needed.
- Place salmon fillet on a large sheet of baking paper or foil. Spoon over 1-2 tablespoons of the dressing. Season with a little salt and pepper. Close up the salmon in the baking paper/foil so that it forms a sealed pouch (en papillote) and bake the salmon for approximately 15 minutes or until cooked through (cooking time will vary depending on shape/thickness of the salmon). Allow to cool; pop it in the fridge to cool quickly.
- Prep the remaining salad ingredients. Finely slice the cucumber and capsicum. Peel and dice the papaya into small cubes.
- Once the salmon has cooled to room temperature, create the salad. Mix together the salad leaves, cucumber and capsicum. Arrange on serving plates. Flake over the salmon fillet and then top with papaya, mint, crushed peanuts and chilli flakes. Spoon over the dressing. Garnish with lime wedges. Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply