Roasted Pumpkin and Goats Cheese Salad is a simple, beautiful and colourful salad which packs such a flavour punch. It’s gluten free and grain free.
Pumpkin has such a lovely sweet flavour, and I love how roasting it gives the edges that caramel-like browning on the edges. The sweetness of roasted pumpkin is perfect paired with warming spices like chilli and cumin. They work perfectly together to create a balanced dish.
This roasted pumpkin and goats cheese salad makes a substantial side dish, or you can serve a larger portion as a main topped with some extra protein. I recommend topping it with roast lamb, chicken breast, hard boiled eggs or chickpeas.
Roasted Pumpkin and Goats Cheese Salad
This healthy pumpkin and goats cheese salad pairs the sweetness of roasted pumpkin with warming spices and creamy goats cheese.
- 750 grams pumpkin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 handfuls rocket leaves, 80-100 grams
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley - approximately 70 grams
- 4 spring onions
- 100 grams goats cheese
- 1/2 cup flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to season
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or more extra virgin olive oil, for roasting the pumpkin
Preheat oven to 160˚C. Cut the pumpkin in to wedges (approximately 2cm thick at their thickest part). Rub with coconut oil, place on a lined baking tray and sprinkle over the cinnamon and the cumin. Season with a little salt and pepper. Toss around in the seasoning and spread out evenly across the tray.
- Bake the pumpkin for approximately 30-40 minutes or until soft, but not falling apart. Set aside to cool.
Rinse the rocket and the parsley. Trim the rough thick inner stems from the parsley, and roughly tear up. Trim and finely slice the spring onions; set the spring onions aside.
- In a large salad bowl combine about half of the rocket leaves and parsley and lay on the bottom of the salad bowl.
- Layer the pumpkin wedges (you can cut into smaller fragments to fit the bowl) and the remaining rocket and parsley on top of each other in the bowl. Reserve a few bits of parsley and rocket to lay across the top of salad.
Break the goats cheese into little chunks and distribute over the top of the salad.
- Scatter over the spring onions, flaked almonds, chilli flakes and the remaining rocket and parsley.
For the dressing, combine the extra virgin olive oil and vinegar in a small jar, and shake to combine. Pour over the salad just before serving.
*For a dairy free/paleo version, swap the goats cheese for extra toasted nuts, some chopped boiled eggs or just leave out entirely. For a nut-free version, swap the flaked almonds to sunflower seeds.