Roasted Pumpkin and Goats Cheese Salad is a simple, beautiful and colourful salad which packs such a flavour punch. It’s gluten free and grain free.
Pumpkin has such a lovely sweet flavour, and I love how roasting it gives the edges that caramel-like browning on the edges. The sweetness of roasted pumpkin is perfect paired with warming spices like chilli and cumin. They work perfectly together to create a balanced dish.
This roasted pumpkin and goats cheese salad makes a substantial side dish, or you can serve a larger portion as a main topped with some extra protein. I recommend topping it with roast lamb, chicken breast, hard boiled eggs or chickpeas.
Roasted Pumpkin and Goats Cheese Salad
- 750 grams pumpkin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 handfuls rocket leaves, 80-100 grams
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley - approximately 70 grams
- 4 spring onions
- 100 grams goats cheese
- 1/2 cup flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to season
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or more extra virgin olive oil, for roasting the pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 160˚C. Cut the pumpkin in to wedges (approximately 2cm thick at their thickest part). Rub with coconut oil, place on a lined baking tray and sprinkle over the cinnamon and the cumin. Season with a little salt and pepper. Toss around in the seasoning and spread out evenly across the tray.
- Bake the pumpkin for approximately 30-40 minutes or until soft, but not falling apart. Set aside to cool.
- Rinse the rocket and the parsley. Trim the rough thick inner stems from the parsley, and roughly tear up. Trim and finely slice the spring onions; set the spring onions aside.
- In a large salad bowl combine about half of the rocket leaves and parsley and lay on the bottom of the salad bowl.
- Layer the pumpkin wedges (you can cut into smaller fragments to fit the bowl) and the remaining rocket and parsley on top of each other in the bowl. Reserve a few bits of parsley and rocket to lay across the top of salad.
- Break the goats cheese into little chunks and distribute over the top of the salad.
- Scatter over the spring onions, flaked almonds, chilli flakes and the remaining rocket and parsley.
- For the dressing, combine the extra virgin olive oil and vinegar in a small jar, and shake to combine. Pour over the salad just before serving.