A lovely grain free paleo cake studded with tangy raspberries, perfect for afternoon tea! I love that this recipe uses up whole oranges without any waste, they also help to keep this cake beautifully moist.
Orange, Almond and Raspberry Cake
This grain free Orange, Almond and Raspberry Cake is gluten free, dairy free and paleo friendly, made with almond flour and whole oranges.
- 2 oranges
- 1 cup raspberries - I usually use frozen
- 1 and 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder (gluten free)
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp coconut oil measured melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Place whole oranges in a small saucepan and cover with water; boil for approximately 90 minutes or until soft. Remove from water and allow to cool to room temperature.
Preheat oven to 180 C and line a baking tin with baking paper (I used a 23cm square tin).
- Place oranges in food processor and blend until smooth. Add in eggs, vanilla, honey and coconut oil and blend again until smooth.
- In a large bowl combine the almond flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder and salt.
Pour the wet mixture in to the dry mixture and combine.
- Scoop the batter into your lined baking tin and smooth out evenly. Scatter raspberries over the top and press in so they are about half-submerged.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes* or until deep golden brown on top and firm to touch. Allow to cool before slicing.
*I used a large cake tin so the batter spread out fairly thin. If using a smaller cake tin the cake may take longer to bake (another 5-10 minutes) – you can cover it over with foil while it is baking to stop it browning over too much.
*Berry substitution: this cake would also be lovely with blueberries, blackberries or mixed berries pressed into the top, too.