Ginger spiced apple bircher muesli is a healthy breakfast that’s really easy to make ahead. Using a base of freshly grated apple, gluten free oats and chia seeds, you can make this dairy free (and vegan) too if you like.
This past month I have been really busy developing and testing recipes for catering jobs. Rather than daydreaming and consulting my personal ‘I really want to try making this’ list, the recipes I’ve been working on lately have all been based on a menu brief. Including this ginger spiced apple bircher muesli! It’s actually been really fun working like this. In some ways having someone else specify the focus flavour or ingredient is so much less stressful because you don’t second guess the idea you choose to run with!
Now, on to this ginger spiced apple bircher muesli. This recipe was originally developed for a breakfast which wanted to feature ginger as a focus ingredient. I really love the punchy, warming flavour of ginger, and felt that it would give a nice kick to a traditional apple bircher muesli. Ginger and apple are meant to be enjoyed together!
I don’t often eat apples because they are a higher FODMAP fruit (you can read more about FODMAPs in my blog post here), so at home I would only have a small portion of this. Another way I like to make this bircher muesli – and it’s a bit odd but I really do like it! – is to swap the apple for grated zucchini, which is lower FODMAP. It does make the end result less sweet but you can add a teaspoon of maple syrup (or brown rice syrup, which is also lower in FODMAPs) to balance this out.
However – there’s absolutely nothing wrong with apples if you can tolerate them digestively. And this ginger spiced apple bircher muesli is such a delicious way to enjoy them! Together with the rolled oats and chia seeds you’ve got such a tasty, high fibre breakfast. Even better, this mixture will last in the fridge for up to 5 days, so you can make this on the weekend and have a few healthy brekkies prepared for the week ahead!
Ginger Spiced Apple Bircher Muesli
- 1 apple
- 80 grams gluten free rolled oats (1 cup)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2-t tsp ground ginger (to taste)
- 200 mL almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 3 tbsp unsweetened Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp maple syrup or other liquid sweetener (optional)
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup blueberries or other berries
- Grate the apple and pop the grated apple into a large bowl or container.
- Add the oats, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, cinnamon and ginger to the bowl/container as well. Give it a bit of a stir then pour in the almond milk, Greek yoghurt and vanilla. Stir again and taste test; add the maple syrup if you want it sweeter.
- Cover over the bowl/pop a lid on the container, and leave the muesli to soak overnight in the fridge.
- The next morning, scoop a serve of muesli in to a bowl, top with Greek yoghurt and berries (or any other toppings you like), and enjoy!