This simple dip is inspired by a vegan quiche I had in a cafe some time ago. I was amazed at how creamy the filling was. The waitress told me there was no coconut cream involved (which always seems to be in creamy vegan dishes); it was just zucchini! So I’ve used zucchini in my dip to give it a nice creamy consistency too, aided by a bit of tahini. Using hulled versus unhulled tahini in this dip will change the flavour slightly. If you use hulled, it will be lighter and creamier; unhulled will give a darker, nuttier taste to the dip.
Creamy Eggplant Zucchini Dip
This creamy dairy free eggplant zucchini dip is a healthy delight! Vegan friendly, it's gluten free and sugar free too.Print Pin Rate
Servings: 4 to 6 individuals
- 1 large eggplant or two smaller ones
- 1 large zucchini or two smaller ones
- 3 tbsp tahini - I prefer hulled tahini in this recipe
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 160˚C.
- Prick the whole eggplant a few times with a fork, wrap in foil and place in the oven.
- Trim and dice the zucchini into large chunks and toss in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Place on a lined baking tray.
- After the eggplant has been in the oven for about 30 minutes, place the zucchini in the oven too. Cook together for approximately a further 30 minutes until the zucchini looks well roasted.
- Allow the vegetables to cool. Remove the stalk of the eggplant (no need to remove the skin).
- Place eggplant and zucchini in a food processor (or blender) with the tahini, spices and the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Blend until smooth, then taste and season as desired with salt & pepper. Blend again. Serve with veggie sticks, crackers or as a side to roasted meats or grilled fish.
*This is also lovely with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice added. If you’re serving it up for a party, top it with toasted nuts or seeds and a drizzle of olive oil to dress it up a little.
Have you made this recipe?I love seeing your creations! Take a photo and then tag me @moniquecormacknutrition on Instagram!
Leave a Reply