Pea and Broccoli Miso Soup is nourishing, comforting and a breeze to make; just the kind of recipe we're all keen for in January! Gluten free, dairy free and sugar free, it's purely healthy but also purely delicious. A healthy, vegan friendly, green hug in a bowl.
After a few lovely weeks away on holiday I'm back and blogging, full of new ideas and energy about where I want to take Nourish Everyday in 2017. Though it can be hard to let go of working on the blog, it's nice to be free of routine and daydream a little. It gives me a better sense of perspective - and I think new ideas blossom so much more readily when we're rested.
To ease back into working (both on my blog and in my office job) I'm sharing this beautifully easy recipe for Pea and Broccoli Miso Soup. It's healthy, nurturing and comforting, but also really rich in flavour. The sweet peas, when blended, make this surprisingly creamy. They're also a great source of plant protein and so economical; there's always a bag of frozen peas lurking in my freezer ready to be chucked into things.
This Pea and Broccoli Miso Soup is so much more than a typical miso soup. The miso paste forms the base broth, but blending in the peas and broccoli gives you a really thick, hearty soup. Ginger adds a nice little zing and a nutritional boost, being great for immunity and digestion. One big saucepan and a little bit of chopping and blending is all you need to do to pull this soup together. Top it with some crunchy seeds and/or some more peas for extra texture. I also love drizzling on some coconut cream and a sprinkle of chilli flakes.
Pea and Broccoli Miso Soup
- 500 grams broccoli (approximately 1 very large head or 2 small heads)
- 2.5 cups peas (I use frozen)
- 1 brown onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic (depending on size)
- 40-50 grams ginger , fresh (about two small thumb-sized portions)
- 3 tbsp miso paste (I typically use brown rice miso*)
- 6 cups boiling water
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or your other preferred oil for frying
- salt and pepper to taste
- 30 min
- 30 min
- Peel and finely chop the onion, ginger and garlic. Chop the broccoli into florets.
- Pop the coconut oil, onion, ginger and garlic into a large saucepan. Place over a high heat and saute for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant and the onion starts to turn translucent.
- Add in the broccoli florets and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the hot water and add in the frozen peas. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add in the miso paste and stir until the miso paste has dissolved into the water. Continue to simmer away, covered, for a further 5-10 minutes, until all the vegetables are very soft.
- Remove the soup from the heat and allow to cool a little (to allow safer and easier handling). Then, use a stick/immersion blender to blend in the saucepan, or transfer the soup to a regular blender jug to process until smooth.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Warm gently in a saucepan to get it piping hot again before serving.
*I usually buy an organic, unpasteurised brown rice miso paste which you can keep in the fridge for about 6-8 weeks after opening. The one I’m using at the moment is Clearspring Organic Brown Rice Miso – this is my Amazon Affiliate link to the product, which means I earn a small commission if you purchase via this link, at no extra cost to you! (Proceeds to help my blog!)
Love a creamy, hearty yet healthy soup full of veggies? Try my Green Bean, Cashew and Coconut Soup too!