This Oat and Zucchini Protein Porridge is easy to make (coming together in just one pot!), and makes such a satisfying healthy breakfast. It’s one of my staple brekkies, especially on cooler days when I need something warming. The porridge is gluten free, and you can easily keen it dairy free and vegan if you prefer.
I have been wanting to blog this zucchini protein porridge for so long. It’s one of those really basic, reliable recipes that I make so often (and very often snap for my Instagram – a few of you on there have asked me for this recipe!). But, most mornings when I throw together said zucchini protein porridge, I’m in morning routine mode and in a rush! Finally, I took some time and made an epic bowl of this over the weekend.
Adding zucchini to your oats has become a bit of a “thing” of late, and while I feel a bit lame succumbing to a food trend… it’s actually REALLY GOOD. Grated zucchini cooks so quickly and adds a nice soft fluffiness to porridge (just like carrot – my Carrot Cake Oat Porridge is one of the most popular recipes on my site!). Plus it’s a really easy way to get a serve of veg in – can’t argue with that! In this oat and zucchini protein porridge recipe, I also add a half scoop of protein powder. I often exercise first thing in the morning and love to have a big, satisfying breakfast. Adding a little (good quality, all natural) protein powder to my porridge helps to replenish my body and keep me full. Whether you want to call them ‘zoats’, ‘proats’ or simply zucchini protein porridge like I have here – I genuinely enjoy a bowl of this!
This recipe really is very easy to make. When I put mine together, I use a small hand held grater and start by grating the zucchini straight into the saucepan I’m going to cook in, to reduce washing up. I then throw the rest of the ingredients on top, pop it on the stove and start stirring it together while it’s heating up. Within 15 minutes I’m sitting down to a hot breakfast bowl. You can also double the recipe and make a serve to have the next day – it tastes pretty yummy cold too, kind of like a version of overnight oats.
In terms of protein powder, I have been using Whey Ahead Organic Protein in this zucchini protein porridge. I’m proud to be an ambassador for this product because it’s one of the most natural – and nicest tasting – protein powders I have found, plus it’s organic, from grass fed cows. No artificial sweeteners, no fillers, no junk. My favourite flavour to use in this recipe is the Organic Peruvian Chocolate Whey, but the vanilla flavour works wonderfully too. If you’d like to keep this recipe vegan, you can easily do so by swapping to a plant-based protein powder. I’ve also added some recipe notes below on how to keep the porridge nut-free too (it’s easy!).
Oat and Zucchini Protein Porridge
- 45 grams gluten-free rolled oats
- 80-100 grams zucchini (courgette) (about 1/2 large)
- 1/2-1 scoop protein powder (I used Whey Ahead Organic Vanilla or Chocolate)
- 2 tsp chia seeds or ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp coconut oil or oganic butter (optional)
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup or other liquid sweetener (optional)
- Grate the zucchini and place it in a saucepan with the rolled oats, chia seeds and cinnamon. Add the milk and water and stir to combine.
- Place the saucepan on the stove and cook over a moderate heat, stirring occasionally. The mixture will bubble and start to thicken. After 2-3 minutes, stir in the protein powder and the coconut oil/butter (if using).
- Cook the porridge for 5-10 minutes, depending on how chunky your rolled oats are and how soft you prefer your porridge. You can add some extra milk or water to the porridge as it's cooking, if necessary. Taste test and add a sweetener e.g. maple syrup, only if needed.
- Once cooked and sweetened to your liking, serve hot with toppings of your choice.