Spiced sweet potato and capsicum soup is healthy, nourishing and warming. Roasted vegetables, broth and delicious spices combine to create this super easy gluten free, dairy free meal.
In December last year I had the pleasure of joining in Vitamix’s Christmas Moments blogging party, and shared a savoury pumpkin oat bread recipe as part of an (online) festive dinner party. As part of my participation I received a brilliant new Vitamix Professional G Series 300 Blender from the lovely Vitamix peeps, and I’ve been having fun playing with it ever since… there\’s nothing quite like a new kitchen toy (well, in my world anyway)!
This month it’s been all about blending up soups, to stave off what has been an extremely cold winter. I’ve only lived in London for about two and a half years, and by far this is the coldest January I’ve experienced! This Spiced Sweet Potato and Capsicum Soup is one of the best of my warming January creations.
After a nice toasty roasting, chunks of sweet potato, capsicum and a few garlic cloves are thrown into the blender along with spices and broth to form a delicious thick soup. If you make this sweet potato and capsicum soup in a Vitamix like I did, the cool thing is that the speed of the blades combining this all together actually HEATS the soup too. Yep. When I take the lid off, steam comes out of the jug!
This Spiced Sweet Potato and Capsicum Soup is very easy to make and a pretty economical meal. Aside from the garlic, I use dry powdered spices in this recipe – they\’re cheap, accessible and last forever, so if you invest in a couple of favourites you get to use them again and again. Sweet potato and capsicum have an almost sweet flavour, so I’ve gone with some punchy Moroccan-esque spices in my soup recipe to give them a savoury kick.
Oh, and I can’t not mention the roasted garlic. Roasting garlic (you don’t even have to peel it!) mellows out the flavour and you end up with a beautiful smoky, caramelised addition to your meal. It’s divine. You will love it in this Spiced Sweet Potato and Capsicum Soup!
Spiced Sweet Potato and Capsicum Soup
- 600 grams sweet potatoes
- 2-3 red capsicum (red peppers)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh coriander as garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 C and line a large baking tray with foil or non-stick baking paper (optional but helps slide the veggies off the tray!).
- Peel the sweet potatoes and dice into pieces about 2cm long. Trim the capsicum and cut into thick slices (about 2cm thick is also good).
- Place the diced veggies and the unpeeled garlic cloves on the baking tray. Pour over the olive oil and toss everything around in it, then spread out evenly.
- Roast for approximately 30-40 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and starting to char and brown at the edges. Remove from oven.
- Take the garlic gloves off the tray and gently squeeze the roasted garlic out into your blender jug (or, if you're going to use a stick/immersion blender, into a large deep bowl or saucepan). Then, add the veggies into the jug too.
- Add the spices and the 5 cups of stock to the blender jug.
- If you're making this in a Vitamix, blend the soup by turning the Vitamix on with the dial turned to 1, and then gradually turning the speed to 6, over about 45 seconds. Then return to speed 1 and turn off. Repeat approximately 4 or 5 times until the soup is creamy, smooth and warm. (If you're making this in a regular blender or food processor, or with a stick/immersion blender, simply blend until smooth and creamy, and then heat as required in a saucepan over the stove on a low heat).
- Garnish with fresh coriander, salt and pepper, and anything else you fancy. Serve.
**DISCLAIMER: I received a complimentary Vitamix G Series blender from Vitamix prior to writing this recipe post. All opinions expressed in this blog post are my own.