Grain free zucchini bread; made with coconut flour and flaxseed, this is a paleo friendly, gluten free, dairy free, high protein recipe. It's also nut free!
I love making quick breads, especially ones using grated or pureed vegetables which give bulk and substance to grain free breads without being too heavy. One of my personal favourites is this grain free zucchini bread, particularly because I can just grate the zucchini in raw, which is very efficient! Whack everything into a big bowl, mash it all together and chuck it in the oven; no fuss. Unlike most grain free breads, this recipe is also nut free, which is a nice change and perfect for allergies/sensitivities too of course.
Combining the lightness of coconut flour with ground flaxseed gives this grain free zucchini bread such a nice texture, while also making this a mega high fibre slice. Ground flaxseed can soak up quite a lot of moisture and keeps this bread soft and gives it some stretch, without using gluten-containing ingredients. Add in the zucchini and you have a wonderfully soft loaf, perfect for piling high with all of your favourite toppings. You can also flavour this loaf to be slightly sweet or slightly savoury; I have put some suggestions in the recipe notes below.
To get the most out of your grain free zucchini bread, I'd recommend slicing up the whole loaf into 1cm slices and then freezing as it keeps in the freezer really well. Then you've always got some handy when you're in the mood for toast! I pop a small square of greaseproof paper between each slice so it's easy to pull individual serves out (don't you hate it when the toast slices are stuck together?!).
Grain free Zucchini Bread
- 75 grams coconut flour ~ 2/3 cup
- 110 grams ground flaxseed ~ 2/3 cup
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- 1/2 tsp salt , finely ground
- 2 medium-large zucchini aka courgette ~ 300-400grams
- 1/2 cup coconut oil , melted ~ 125mL
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 25 min
- 1 h
- 1 h 25 min
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Line a loaf tin* with baking paper.
- Combine all the dry ingredients (coconut flour, ground flaxseed, baking powder, bicarb and salt) in a large bowl, ensuring no lumps are in the flour. Add in any herbs/nutritional yeast/other dry seasonings, if you are using them (see recipe notes below).
- Grate the zucchini and add the to the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients (oil, eggs, vinegar, honey).
- Pour the wet ingredients in to the dry ingredients and combine everything evenly. You should have a thick, wet kind of "dough".
- Scoop the batter in to the loaf tin and press it in so the surface is smooth and even.
- Bake for approximately 55-60 minutes or until the top is a deep golden brown, slightly crunchy and the centre of the loaf feels firm to touch.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the tin for about 15 minutes, then remove and allow to cool completely before slicing.
*If you’d like a very tall loaf, bake this in a small loaf tin around 20-22cm length at the base. Otherwise a larger, standard bread loaf tin will do!
This grain free zucchini bread is quite neutral-tasting and simple, and as such makes a nice base for any kind of topping you like! But you can also flavour the loaf itself. Some of my favourite ways to add some extra flavour to this loaf are to add:
- 3-5 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes and an extra pinch of salt for a slightly savoury, cheesy loaf;
- 2-3 tbsp mixed dried herbs and an extra pinch of salt (oregano and thyme work nicely, or an Italian-style herb mix);
- An extra 2 tbsp honey or a touch of maple syrup and 1 tsp cinnamon for a slightly-sweet version.
This tasty zucchini bread was featured over on Allergy Friendly Thursdays by Only Taste Matters!