These little muffins are the perfect snack when you are really craving something sweet. They are quite dense in texture and provide an excellent dose of protein and healthy fats, thanks to the combination of eggs and coconut. I love that they rely on good old frozen blueberries which are so economical – it’s actually easier using them frozen as they don’t “bleed” as much when you’re putting the muffins together. This recipe is nut-free, too!
Blueberry, Chia and Coconut Muffins
These blueberry, chia and coconut muffins are grain free, gluten free and dairy free, they're paleo friendly. A lovely little sweet snack high in fibre and protein.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup granulated stevia - I use Natvia
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder (gluten free)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut milk *
- 1/4 cup coconut oil measured melted, 60mL
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries - I usually use frozen
- 1/3 cup mixed seeds to decorate tops - OPTIONAL
Preheat oven to 190˚C and prepare a muffin tin with 10 liners.
- Sift the coconut flour, baking powder, stevia, cinnamon and salt in one bowl. Then stir in the desiccated coconut and the chia seeds.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, melted coconut oil and the vanilla until well combined.
- Combine the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients.
- Add the blueberries to the batter last, and gently fold them through to combine. Your batter might suddenly look quite lumpy/grainy - as the blueberries are really cold, this can harden the coconut oil a little. Don't worry! They will still bake well.
Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin holes. Top with the mixed seeds if you're using them.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the muffins feel firm to touch and have started to turn golden brown on the top.
*I use carton coconut milk (usually a coconut-rice blend) in this recipe, not the thicker canned variety. You can also substitute this for any other milk you like e.g. almond, rice, hemp.